Important Update: Community URLs redirect issues are partially resolved. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Object for Save and Close button

RavitejaPaideti
Contributor III

Hi All,

I have implemented the below code to display a popup window while user hits save and close:

<script type="text/javascript">

var messageBoxText = "Please Submit the form for Review. Ignore if submitted";
    var messageBoxTitle = 'Warning';
              Sys.Application.add_load(function() {
// Save/Apply Buttons
$('#master_SAVE_AND_CLOSE').attr('href',"#").removeAttr("onclick").unbind("click").click(function(){ MyFunction('save');return false;});
$('#master_SAVE_AND_CLOSE > div > div > img').removeAttr('onclick').unbind("click");

});

function MyFunction(type) {
window.alert(messageBoxText);

SaveApply(type)
}

function SaveApply(type) {
if (type == 'save') {
javascript:__doPostBack('master$frame','SaveAndClose');
  }
}
</script>

The above worked while we were in 5.x. I need to use this again in 6.3 and I don't see the popup now. What changes do I need to apply?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

DavidPetty
Archer Employee
Archer Employee

Raviteja, the button behave differently now in 6.x than they did in 5.x.  Take a look at Ilya Khen‌'s post here, https://community.rsa.com/message/912029?commentID=912029#comment-912016  on how to hijack the Save and Save and Close buttons.

Advisory Consultant

Also I wouldn't call, __doPostBack('master$frame','SaveAndClose'); this and do this $('#master_btnSave').click(); instead.

Advisory Consultant

Anonymous
Not applicable

In RSA Archer Platform 6.3" data-type="space‌ and later, custom code for a "Save and Close" button shouldn't be needed unless you are injecting other actions into the process. In this release, we brought back a system generated button for this.

See here: https://community.rsa.com/community/products/archer-grc/archer-customer-partner-community/blog/2017/10/18/tbd 

Hi Scott,

This article explains the introduction of Save and Close button when we had only SAVE button initially. I am looking for displaying a popup window thru custom object while user hits Save and Close. This is for a Questionnaire and some users are not changing the Submission Status field value to "Submitted" for pushing the record to Review stage in workflow. By default after record launch, it will be "In Process" and some users are assuming the questionnaire is in process - leaving without submitting for review. User learning is not sufficient and Business proposed an idea to display a popup when user hits the Save and close " Change Status to Submitted for review. Ignore if already changed .yada yada yada". I created the above code when we used 5.x version and I need this to be compatible in v6.3 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Raviteja Paideti,

Yes, I could see that from your example code which is why I said "unless you are injecting other actions into the process", which you are.

That said, there are other ways within the platform to enforce that values are appropriately set before saving that do not require custom code. I would suggest you look into DDE rules and actions to accomplish this, instead of a blocking pop-up that every user has to dismiss on every save.

DDE doesn't work here as the user have the flexibility to save and close for once, come back and change answers/submit the previous recorded answers as is. Until the user feels confident enough to submit for review, they are editing the Questionnaire multiple times (Taking enough time without a due date). When the record is initially launched, we are setting the submission status to a value (In Process). But it is the user who has to change this value from In Process to Submitted. (this further sets the review Status to "Awaiting Review" - Set Value DDE). System doesn't know when does the user wants to submit the record for review even if all the required questions are answered.

You could place a section or a text box on the layout that sits at the very top that displays text (bold/red) to inform the user that at some point the status needs to be set to Submitted once the questionnaire is completed.

Then configure the rules to show/hide that section/text box based on the review status.

Advisory Consultant

Hi David,

We have had 2 help texts one at the top and one at the middle of the layout which guides the user. However, some users are not going through them despite of its striking Bold red color text and font! We ran out of options here

AWF would allow you to "submit"...

Anyway, in case you're not using AWF, how about as an alternative....

Use notifications, dashboards, and reports to alert people?

• Build in notifications for x number of days after created if the status is still "In Process"
    • One goes to the user
    • one goes to the process owner, or the manager
  • an instant notification after they save telling them they didn't change the status to submit.
  • weekly summary notification(s)
  • Create a report include it on the manager dashboard
  • Create a report and include it on the users dashboard 

If you can't educate your users, then let their managers know or the process lead or someone that can follow-up with these users to tell them to "click the right button" by using OOB Archer options to give visibility to the problem.

Custom Objects are possible, but at times seems excessive when archer has an OOB solutions to address the problem.

I think that process can be just as useful as a customized website.