Important Update: Community URLs redirect issues are partially resolved. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Contentapi with multiple instances on the same URL

NeilGove
Contributor II

I am trying to connect to the contentapi with Power BI.  Is it possible to get a response when no default instance is setup and where we have multiple instances at the same URL?  When I try to connect, I get an internal error: 

(500) Internal Server Error.

5 REPLIES 5

Ilya_Khen
Champion III

Neil, I could be wrong, but I believe that session-id you are using is the main factor to which instance you will be connected.

Because in order to get session-id, you first need to be authenticated to some instance.

Before connecting with Power BI, you must first establish a session (using Archer API Template vb tool or some API call to login and get a session token).  Then to get data with Power BI you provide two things: the URL of the instance (http://{baseURL}/contentapi) and a session token.  When multiple instances are setup at a given URL, how can the connection get established to the proper instance?

But in order to get proper session token you need to be authenticated to some instance. that this token will automatically be related to authenticated instance.

The token being automatically related to the authenticated instance makes sense because the other API calls do no have instance passed as a parameter only session token... perhaps our instances are setup incorrectly... I tried our on prem and a hosted instance without valid a connection.  But just now got a good response from a different rsa hosted instance.  Thanks Ilya for your response.

Anyone from RSA know what installation or config may be missing that would prevent connecting to the contentapi?

Neil, 1st thing I would check, whether anonymous authentication is defined as only auth method for the contentapi node in IIS.

Otherwise, you can ask support for sure.