Important Update: Community URLs redirect issues are partially resolved. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner seeking startup advice

JeanAnderson3
Contributor III

BEGINNER!

I am interested in setting up API services for our Archer instance. I am a former mainframe developer so I have some foundation in development concepts but I am relatively new at API work and the structure required. We would have interfaces with Service Now and Peoplesoft to start. I can login to Archer with Python and get a session ID, but that is as far as I have gotten. (I have also used the API templates.)

So this is a request for ideas on very BASIC steps to establishing a useful API structure/environment. Where do I start?

I would need to maintain all the elements myself, so what tips does anyone have?

What basic languages/platforms do you recommend?

I have been working with Python and Node.js to try and get started. It seems one the initial structure is set up, it would be just adding new calls and then processing the data from one interface to Archer.

What models have been successful?

Thanks,

Jean Anderson

2 REPLIES 2

DavidPetty
Archer Employee
Archer Employee

Welcome Archer's API world Jean

What language to use just boils down to what you are comfortable in programing with.  In the end you're just making a web request to Archer to setup a session or update/create a record.

Which API to use; REST or Web Services is the biggest question.  If you're just looking to create and update records in Archer then IMHOP the REST API would be best to use.  If you need to search records or consume a bunch of records from a report, the Web Services API would be the only option; currently the REST APIs do not have the capability to search or get data from reports.

The REST APIs typically return JSON and the Web Services API return XML in regards to response.

The first hurtle is getting a session token which you were able to do

Next would be setting up the code to either Create or Update records within Archer.  If you haven't, take a look at RSA Archer 6.2 Platform Patch 1 REST API Reference it will give you some basics on how to create an update content. 

You can also use the Archer API Template - Standalone Executable to play with the REST API calls (source code if you want to see how the magic works, Archer API Template for Visual Studio ) to see how they work and the response you get.

Also here's one for using PowerShell with the REST/Web Services APIs, https://community.rsa.com/thread/185538

Advisory Consultant

Thanks!