Important Update: Some Community URL Redirects are Under Maintenance. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Object that hands off settings between View and Edit modes

JoyVanBuskirk
Collaborator II

Hi guys,

My Enterprise Risk application has a lot of different tabs. As we all know, tabs can't display content nearly as fast as a DDE show\show hide, so my idea was to get rid of all of the tabs and put all the sections on a single page. Then I'd hide all but the top section by default, and I'd add a values list field in the top section with an option corresponding to each hidden section. The user could select which section they wanted to see, and a DDE would fire to show that section and hide all of the others (except for the top section of course). This improved both performance and the simplicity of the user experience immensely. However, users who have only read access are unable to maneuver through the data since they can't get into edit mode. Also, if the user saves the record, the setting for whatever the last section that they were viewing will be saved, and that may not be desirable. As a result, I decided to build a custom object that would do the same thing and work in both view and edit mode. I'm happy with everything about how the custom object works except that if a user starts looking at the data in view mode and then decides to move to edit mode, whichever section that they were looking at in View mode isn't still visible after they move to edit mode. This is of course logical since the page reloads to go into Edit mode therefore resetting the custom object to its default setting--which is to not show any of the lower screen sections by default. But this is not desirable behavior from a usability perspective. I'm assuming there's a way--maybe with On Load events or something similar--to retain the Custom Object's current selection as one moves between View and Edit mode but I'm not sure how. Any suggestions? I've attached the code I've got so fart so you can see what I'm working with.

2 REPLIES 2

DavidPetty
Archer Employee
Archer Employee

Nice work Joy!

Take a look into using Window sessionStorage Property instead then you can store your setting and retrieve them when the user goes from one mode to another.

Advisory Consultant

This looks so promising! Thanks David--I'll give it a go!