Important Update: Some Community URL Redirects are Under Maintenance. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Object - History Log capabilities

NaomiEskira
Archer Employee
Archer Employee

Hello,

has anyone used custom object to simulate history log field?

meaning create custom object that takes all the data from the history log in to Sub-Form field that will contain:

* Date

* User

*Type (Field change)

* Field name

* Value

this is in order to use those field to filter with in search option.

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Ilya_Khen
Champion III

I think you do not necessary need to get data out of History Log, because history log would be updated AFTER the record is saved. But you can just get needed field and create record in a subform by using WS API let us say.

Another option to make record to Subform by using DataFeed.

If you need to get History Log data for specific record, you could use REST API call:

/api/core/content/history/[CONTENT_ID]

Thank you Ilya,

can you provide more details how to do that? as an example if I have sub-form within the application that contains all the history log fields. how will I populate them each time a specific field is changed.

Thanks,

Naomi

I believe you have to do comparison of values from all the fields you are tracking in custom object itself

By either setting up change handler and preloading initial values.

Or getting values in the record by using API call. 

But that will work ONLY per user interaction. E.g. if change happened in parent application, custom object would not trigger. In that case, might be DF safer option, but not real time.

Hi Ilya,

those changes are only in one application and in non-cross ref fields so no other application involved, can you help me with a specific example, lets say the field I want to monitor called Application Name, and in the sub form I want to see all those times that this field changed, by which user and when.

thanks,

Naomi

Naomi,

Like I said, you can use either API approach or DataFeed.

In your case, maybe DataFeed would be sufficient, given you do not have users updating the application name every minute:

1. You need to create calculated Helper, which would track if name has changed.

2. You would have reports, which would track ALL records when the Helper above is triggered.

3. You use DataFeed to create a record in a subform with Application Name, Submitter, DateTime.

4. You either use very frequent DataFeed or DF Monitor (RSA Archer Data Feed Monitor Tool & Utility ), thanks to Susan Read-Miller and Bodie Minster.

In API case, you need to write Custom Object, which would have OnChange event handler, and then create record in subform using API. 

1. Examples on how to use Change event handler, appreciate support of many people in the topics:

Javascript Change function with a Popup Permission field? 

Date Validation Custom Object  

2. BEST API Examples over Custom Object made by Jeff Letterman:

Archer API Templates application - An Archer application to quickly test the Archer Web Services API and REST API using Custom Objects and much more 

Hope, this will give you and idea and direction.