Important Update: Some Community URL Redirects are Under Maintenance. Learn More. .

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.7 - Will record and report buttons be separated?

LaurenBrodt
Advocate III

I forgot to ask or notice this at charge, will record and report buttons be separated in 6.7?

In the search results and (now) navigation, the buttons are:

Record (New)

Report (modify)

Report (save)

Report (Reports)

Record (Delete, for inline editing and bulk update)

I've been doing a lot of designing around inline editing and my users get very confused.  The "big save" isn't for records, it's for report.  New isn't for new search, it is for new record.  I as a sysadmin even confuse myself sometimes and click "New" wanting to do a new search.  I also end up really really wishing "delete" was for delete report, rather than deleting records.  Ideally though the "record" buttons and the "report" buttons would be grouped together and separate from one another.

pastedImage_1.png

6 REPLIES 6

BenjaminBlinn
Archer Employee
Archer Employee

Lauren,

In 6.7 we focused our efforts to the organization and hierarchy of actions on the records page. We are now setting our sights on improving the same throughout Archer which includes the Search Results page. Thanks for your feedback!

-Benjamin Blinn 

I'm not sure the users at our company are going to view the new layout organizing actions under a drop down as an improvement.  Especially with the layout presented in applications using advanced workflow varying from applications that do not use workflow.  This will cause confusion as most of our users are in multiple applications within Archer.   

Honestly, I'm usually one to try to jump on new features and functionality.  Right now though, based on what I've seen, I will probably be holding off for quite awhile and patch 6.6 in a few months rather than jump to 6.7. 

Hi Lisa, 

Thank you for your feedback! Totally understand your concern! We did quite a bit of A/B testing on this and have iterated based on the results. While I completely understand the inconsistency might be a concern for power users, if you think of it in terms of an infrequent business user, the way we're displaying actions is contextual to the situation they're in and therefore more intuitive. If an infrequent business user were to come to a screen with 6-12 buttons, it's much easier for them to make an edit to the form, save and close and think they're done, when they haven't moved the record in the workflow. The only difference between AWF records and Non-AWF records is whether or not the actions are exposed and that was intentional based on the feedback we received. Please let me know if this makes sense or you still have concerns. 

Hi Lauren, thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We'd love to understand more regarding what about 6.7 makes you hesitate in taking the new features/functionality. Please let us know and we can try to address your concerns. Thank you!

Thank you for your response and as with Lauren, I too am usually one to jump on new features.  At our company we have implemented most of the Archer suite so we have users that cross over between MANY applications.  As an example our BCM applications developed a bit earlier do not have any advanced workflow built for their approval process. Risk Register via Risk Assessments and Exception Requests all being rolled out late November will include advanced workflow as well as Governance & Privacy applications/assessments in our backlog.  Our employees interact at various levels of detail in all of these applications and seeing Edit, View, Save, Save and Close buttons in some applications and only seeing Edit, View and a drop down in others will cause confusion.  In addition, what I used to be able to do in one click (submit or save and close in advanced workflow), I now need 2 clicks.  From what I have seen this drop down menu is also being utilized on the right side menu of the record requiring extra clicks.  Where I used to be able to click to print or email, I now will need to click on a drop down menu and choose from the extra menu.  Users with multiple responsibilities are "click sensitive" and we definitely hear about it so as developers we pay close attention to that.  Between the inconsistency in presentation and the extra clicks this feels like a lose lose.  A "cleaner" presentation will lose to extra clicks to a user every time.