According to the RSA Archer 6.4 RESTful API Reference Guide, you can use the Selected User Group segment (api/core/system/usergroupselection/usergrouplist/*fieldid*) to retrieve a list of available selections of users and groups for a User Group List field. It works just fine on User Group List fields but does not appear to work on Record Permissions fields (despite them both having Type = 8). I'm assuming this is because Record Permissions fields are more complex (Manual, Automatic, or Inherited; Permissions Rules), and that's certainly understandable, but I'm curious if there are plans to add this capability for Record Permissions fields in the relatively near future?
I'm surprised that it doesn't work. Getting the available users/groups for the field shouldn't be that different for RP fields. They configure the same way by choosing what is available to lookup. Let me play with the call a bit tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
If it is indeed not working, this is not something that's on our radar. Submit an Idea over on RSA Ideas for the RSA Archer Suite" data-type="space to get it logged for discussion and voting.
I ran a quick test tonight by building an ODA, and then adding a Record Perm and User/Group List field to the application. In both fields I set the "Field Population" to be the Everyone Group and a general user account user. When I call the API for both fields, it returns both configurations to me correctly.
What I did notice, and what you should report to Support for analysis and logging by Opening a Case, is that the API call fails if the "All Users" and/or "All Groups" options are the only item(s) selected. This seems like a defect to me, but they can confirm.
Thanks Scott. I was actually doing some testing myself last night and realized the exact same thing. I was (coincidentally) testing on an Application in which all Record Permissions fields were set to All Users and/or All Groups. On a whim, I modified one of them to include another random Group and re-tested and, sure enough, I got a valid result. At the very least, it would be nice to have this behavior included in the documentation so other people don't have to scratch their heads for as long as I did
The issue has been logged internally as ARCHER-68066: REST API Selected User Group segment does not return valid results when All Users and/or All Groups are the only items in Field Population.
If anyone is impacted by this, please open an Archer Support Case and request your company be added to the defect.